The Best Dog Training in San Diego, CA7 minutes
In San Diego, there are many ways to train your dog. If you’re worried about where to go or what training service is reputable, you’re in the right place. We’re going to take you through a handful of the best in-person and online dog training services in San Diego.
San Diego is a dense city with many tight corners, sidewalks, and alleyways. Therefore, it’s important to prepare your dog for city life with the proper training. The best way to do so is with a certified and reputable dog training service. In San Diego, you can choose between in-person and online dog training, depending .
A Quick Look at the Best Dog Training in San Diego
If you’re ready to jump straight into our picks for the best dog training in San Diego, we’ve got a summary of our findings in the table below.
|Trainer||Price Range||Training Types||Online / In-Person|
|Dog Academy||$49.99-$349.99||Obedience Training, Puppy Training, Service Dog Training||Both|
|Spirit Dog||$49.99-$1,700||Puppy Training, Obedience Classes, Masterclass Bundle||Online|
|Brandon McMillan Teaches Dog Training||$15/month||Puppy Training, Behavioral Training, Bonding||Online|
|Bark Busters Home Dog Training||$50-$500||Rescue Dog Training, Behavioral Training, Speciality Classes
|The Human Dog Team||$50-$295 per session||Obedience Training, Behavioral Training, Urban Agility Training||Both|
|Sit Means Sit||$259/6 weeks||CGC Prep, Rescue Dog Training, Puppy Training||Both|
Online Vs. In-Person Training in San Diego
When it comes to training your dog, you can choose to go with in-person training or online training. In some cases, you can also use a blend of in-person and online dog training to polish your dog training experience.
That said, there are a few key differences that are important to understand before choosing between in-person and online dog training. In recent years, online dog training has become more popular because of its flexibility and low cost, but there are still a lot of benefits of in-person training as well.
Pro and Cons of Online and In-Person Training in San Diego
In-person dog training is the traditional method of dog training. While it’s the most common, it’s typically more expensive and less flexible than online training. Dogs do benefit from face-to-face interaction from trainers, but many of the same benefits can be replicated online with video calls, phone calls, and other training methods. In-person is often preferable if you’re working on socializing your pup, however.
Below, we have the pros and cons for online training and in-person training listed below. Keep in mind, though, that both options can be effective depending on you and your pup’s needs.
|Online Training||In-Person Training|
|Can train from anywhere||✔️||X|
|Group sessions with larger groups||✔️||✔️|
|Face-to-face interaction with trainers||X||✔️|
|Socializing with other dogs||X||✔️|
|Trainers can come to your home||X||✔️|
The Best Dog Training in San Diego
Below are the best options for online, in-person, and combined training in San Diego.
1). Dog Academy
- Online or In-Person: Both
- Types of training courses: Obedience Classes, Behavioral Issues, Puppy Training, Psychiatric Service Dog Training, Emotional Support Animal Training, Specialty Classes (e.g., Canine Confidence, Separation Anxiety)
- Price range: $49.99 – $349.99
- Link to website: Dog Academy Basic Obedience Training Program
- Phone number: (605) 223-1971
Dog Academy benefits from being both the best online and in-person dog training service. What helps Dog Academy remain unique is the company’s dedication to positive training methods, an easy online user interface, face-to-face interaction, and education quality. Dog Academy provides the closest online alternative to in-person training (and has the results to prove it), if you need extra flexibility or are watching your budget. If you’re looking for in-person training, they have a team of a dozen AKC-certified trainers that serve every city in the US, including San Diego. Dog Academy also has some of the most affordable and customizable packages available. For these reasons, Dog Academy should always be your first choice when it comes to either online or in-person dog training. They’re a well-rounded brand that you can trust.
2). Brandon McMillan Teaches Dog Training
- Online or In-Person: Online
- Types of training courses: Dog behavior, commands, temperament, bonding, digging prevention, puppy training, leash pulling
- Price range: $15 per month
- Link to website: https://www.masterclass.com/classes/brandon-mcmillan-teaches-dog-training
Brandon McMillan Teaches Dog Training is a simple and affordable online program. Unlike other dog training programs, the cost of this course is spread across months, and it’s more affordable than almost every other dog training option. While it’s less personal than other training programs, McMillan does a great job of covering the basics. There are also one-on-one and group sessions, and McMillan can create custom plans for specific dogs. For someone just starting with online dog training, this course is an excellent choice.
3). Bark Busters Home Dog Training
- Online or In-Person: Both
- Types of training courses: Dog park, food aggression, general obedience, leash aggression, pet therapy, puppy management, rescue dogs, dog separation anxiety, dog behavioral therapy, dog daycare
- Price range: $50 to $500
- Link to website: http://www.dog-training-sandiego.com/
- Address: Mobile
- Phone number: 877-500-2275
Bark Busters Home Dog Training is one of our favorite choices in San Diego because of how the company goes about training. Instead of forcing dog owners to visit locations, Bark Busters Home Dog Training does at-home appointments. This gives dog owners flexibility and the ability to have their dogs trained from the comfort of their own homes. Bark Busters Home Dog Training also has online seminars for continued education and can board pets when needed.
4). The Human Dog Team
- Online or In-Person: In-Person
- Types of training courses: Dog daycare, advanced obedience, boot camp, behavior modification program, canine behavioral therapy, classes and seminars, dog walks, dog enrichment, electric collar training, K9 pack school, online dog training seminars, puppy basics, pulling on leashes, urban agility, pack walking, virtual dog training
- Price range: $50-$295 per session
- Link to website: https://www.thehumandogteam.com/
- Address: 4414 33rd St, San Diego, CA 92116
- Phone number: 619-919-1099
The Human Dog Team does it all. The organization provides dozens of unique training programs and can create custom plans for specific dogs. That said, the organization favors group sessions and loves to help dogs interact with one another and other people. Still, people and dogs can benefit from one-on-one sessions that are in-person or even online. Furthermore, The Human Dog Team provides dog owners with boarding options and the team can train your dog without you being there.
5). Sit Means Sit
- Online or In-Person: Online
- Types of training courses: Aggression training, CGC prep, day train immersion, dog handling, dog park, dog education, group classes, hunting dogs, one-on-one lessons, protection dogs, puppy basics, rescue dogs
- Price range: $259/6 weeks
- Link to website: https://sitmeanssit.com/dog-training-mu/san-diego-dog-training/
- Address: 10035 Carroll Canyon Rd Suite D, San Diego, CA 92131
- Phone number: 858-621-3647
Sit Means Sit is a nationwide dog training chain. The organization has tons of resources for dog owners to use, and the dog training courses are specifically tailored for each dog. Every trainer that works with the organization is well-trained and the main objective is for the trainer to get to know the dog, the family, and the dog’s behavioral tendencies. One unique benefit that Sit Means Sit offers is a year of free group sessions for continued dog training.
6). Spirit Dog
- Online or In-Person: Online
- Types of training courses: Tackling reactivity bundle, ultimate puppy bundle, perfect focus bundle, perfect obedience bundle, loose leash walking bundle, fantastic focus bundle, listening bundle, home games bundle, games unlimited bundle, ultimate masterclass bundle
- Price range: $49.99-$1,700
- Link to website: https://spiritdogtraining.com/online-dog-training/
- Phone number: 505-278-5348
Spirit Dog is an online dog training program that benefits from having a ton of options. Plus, there are options for almost every price range. The quality of the online training is excellent, and their trainers do their best to connect with pet owners and dogs through video calls and guided training sessions. Spirit Dog also has bundles that group many sessions into one to help shoppers save time, money, and stress.
Find the Right Dog Training for You in San Diego
When it comes to training your dog, there are many options. While having a ton of choices is great, it’s hard to narrow down your options and find the right fit. The good news is that each of the dog training options we provided earlier are good choices and have been properly vetted. Therefore, you can’t go wrong.
That said, make sure you look for a dog training service based on your needs. While one trainer might work well for some, that doesn’t mean it will work for you. Make sure you pay attention to location, cost, and training types.