The Best Dog Training in Milwaukee9 minutes
From shopping downtown to enjoying a new restaurant to exploring the city, Milwaukee has a lot to do. Even though it’s a big city, that doesn’t mean activities are limited to the concrete jungle. Milwaukee is within driving distance of a number of outdoor activities, such as hiking.
The city itself hugs Lake Michigan; as such, Milwaukee natives (or tourists) can enjoy time at one of a handful of beaches. Though you can’t take your dog everywhere in Milwaukee, there are several dog-friendly activities in and around the city.
However, it’s not so easy to enjoy time with your dog if they aren’t well-mannered. Even worse, reactive dogs will often be too worked up to actually have fun during an outing. Luckily, there are many capable trainers in Milwaukee that can help.
In this article, we’ll share a list of the best trainers in Milwaukee who can assist you with your dog training needs.
A Quick Look at the Best Dog Training in Milwaukee
Here’s a quick look at the best trainers in Milwaukee. We’ll provide in-depth information on each training option later in the article, so be sure to keep reading.
|Trainer||Price||Training Types||Online / In-Person|
|Dog Academy||$49.99 – $349.99||Behavioral Issues, Psychiatric Service Dog Training, Specialty Classes||Both|
|Happy Tails Pet Training||Private lesson packages $180 – 1425; Day training $1295 – $2295; Virtual training $180 – $520; Group classes $75 – $180||Obedience and Manners, Canine Good Citizen Prep, Agility||Both|
|SideKick Dog Training||Private training $450 – $1,100; Group Classes $180 – $270; Separation Anxiety $200+; Board and Train $1,050/week||Focus and Control, Reactivity, Puppy Training, Custom Training||Both|
|The Teacher’s Pet Dog Training LLC||Contact for details||Reactivity, Service Dog Training, Therapy Dog Training||In-Person|
|Milwaukee Dog Training Club||$150 for 3 months, $200 for 6 months, $250 for 1 year; +$75 for 6 months of agility or flyball, +$100 for 1 year of agility or flyball; Puppy classes = $150 for 8 weeks||Puppy Training, Agility, Tracking||In-Person|
|Wag The Dog & Company||Separation Anxiety: $75 – $865; Online Training Membership: $37/month or $370/year; 1-on-1 Online Training: $75 – $315; 1-on-1 In-Person Training: $75 – $785||Aggression, Fear/Phobias, Separation Anxiety||Both|
Online Vs. In-Person Training in Milwaukee
Both online and in-person training are viable ways to train your dog. Neither is especially better than the other; instead, they both have their strengths and weaknesses. Online training is incredibly convenient as you can study from anywhere with an internet connection. It also tends to be the most affordable option.
In-person training can be a great way to socialize your dog to stimuli outside of your home, and if you take group classes, both you and your dog can make new friends! Since both methods can provide results, which you choose is up to your preference.
Perks of Online and In-Person Training in Milwaukee
Here’s a quick chart outlining the perks of online vs. in-person training.
|Online Training||In-Person Training|
|Train with Professionals||✓||✓|
|Learn from Home||✓||✓|
|Study at Your Own Pace||✓||X|
|Socializes Your Dog||X||✓|
The Best Dog Training in Milwaukee
There are many dog trainers in the Milwaukee area, and it can be difficult to sort through them all. So we’ve done some research and found what we think are the absolute best training options Milwaukee has to offer. Take a look!
1). Dog Academy
- Online or In-Person: Online and In-Person
- Types of Training Courses: Obedience Classes, Behavioral Issues, Puppy Training, Psychiatric Service Dog Training, Emotional Support Animal Training, Specialty Classes (e.g., Canine Confidence, Separation Anxiety)
- Price Range: $49.99 – $349.99
- Link to Website: Dog Academy Basic Obedience Training Program
- Phone Number: (605) 223-1971
Whether you’re interested in online training, group classes, or private training, Dog Academy offers it all. They have a dozen trainers servicing every city in America, including Milwaukee. If in-person training isn’t your jam, check out Dog Academy’s many online courses.
You can find puppy training, basic obedience training, psychiatric service dog training, emotional support dog training, leash manners training, trick training, crate training, and more on Dog Academy’s course list. Problem behaviors such as barking and reactivity are also covered.
Dog Academy even offers human training — you can learn how to groom your dog at home, apply first aid, and even administer canine CPR. All of Dog Academy’s classes are designed by American Kennel Club-certified trainers with over 25 years of experience. For online courses, you can easily contact trainers via phone, email, or the contact form on Dog Academy’s website should you have any questions.
2). Happy Tails Pet Training
- Online or In-Person: Both
- Types of Training Courses: Obedience and Manners, Canine Good Citizen Prep, Agility, Behavior Modification, Come When Called, Loose-Leash Walking, Tricks
- Price Range: Private lesson packages: $180 – $1425, Day training: $1295 – $2295, Virtual Training: $180 – $520, Group classes: $75 – $180
- Link to Website: https://happytailwaggers.net/
- Address: 6163 W Forest Home Ave, Milwaukee, WI 53220
- Phone Number: (414) 507-5099
Happy Tails Pet Training offers virtual, group, and private training. Private training can be done in your own home, in a public place where your dog needs practice, or at Happy Tails’ facility. Training at the facility is the cheapest.
Happy Tails also offers an in-home day training program. This program is similar to board-and-train programs, except a Happy Tails trainer will come to your home while you’re at work and train your dog. This way, your dog is still getting the training they need, but you won’t have to send them away for weeks.
Happy Tails Pet Training offers a variety of training solutions. They can teach obedience, manners, tricks, agility, or any other skill you’d like your dog to learn. They can also help you address undesirable behaviors such as barking, jumping, counter-surfing, fear, reactivity, and aggression. Best of all, Happy Tails Pet Training uses a force-free approach, so you’ll never have to worry about your dog being harmed in the process of training.
3). SideKick Dog Training
- Online or In-Person: Both
- Types of Training Courses: Manners and Obedience, Focus and Control, Reactivity, Puppy Training, Custom Training, Separation Anxiety, Behavior Modification
- Price Range: Private training: $450 – $1,100, Group Classes: $180 – $270, Separation Anxiety: $200+, Board and Train: $1,050/week
- Link to Website: https://www.sidekick-dogtraining.com/
- Phone Number: (414) 207-8060
SideKick Dog Training offers private in-home training, group classes, and a board-and-train program. Depending on your dog’s age and training level, they offer a few different foundational skills programs. They also have programs for reactive dogs and custom training options, which are great for pups who know basic commands but may have some undesirable behaviors.
Group classes offered include basic manners, obedience, and focus and control (for dogs needing help listening in distracting environments). They also offer virtual training via Zoom for dogs suffering from separation anxiety. SideKick Dog Training uses positive reinforcement methods only, so you know that their methods are safe and pain-free.
4). The Teacher’s Pet Dog Training LLC
- Online or In-Person: In-person
- Types of Training Courses: Obedience, Puppy Training, Leash Walking, Behavior Modification, Reactivity, Post-Adoption Behavior, Service Dog Training, Therapy Dog Training
- Price Range: Contact for details
- Link to Website: https://theteacherspetdog-training.com/
- Phone Number: (414) 282-7534
The Teacher’s Pet Dog Training LLC is owned by Linda Bobot, a professional dog behavior consultant. Linda provides in-home training for dogs of any age using force-free clicker training. She specializes in basic behavior, leash walking, reactive behavior, relationship problems, post-adoption behavior, and modifying unwanted behaviors.
Not only that, but Linda also offers service and therapy dog training. She helps her clients determine if their dogs are suitable for service work; if the client’s dog struggles in public situations, she can also teach dogs to assist in-home only.
5). Milwaukee Dog Training Club
- Online or In-Person: In-person
- Types of Training Courses: Puppy Training, Obedience, Flyball, Agility, Tracking
- Price Range: $150 for 3 months, $200 for 6 months, $250 for 1 year; +$75 for 6 months of agility or flyball, +$100 for 1 year of agility or flyball; Puppy classes = $150 for 8 weeks
- Link to Website: http://milwaukeedog.com/index.html
- Address: Indoor training (Dec-Feb): 333 N. 25th Street Milwaukee, WI 53233; Outdoor training (Mar-Nov): 4375 N. Humboldt Blvd Milwaukee, WI 53212
- Phone Number: (414) 961-6163
As the name suggests, the Milwaukee Dog Training Club is actually a club for hobbyists who enjoy training and dog sports. As such, training is offered by knowledgeable dog enthusiasts, and the club is non-profit, which means training costs are much more affordable.
However, the club is licensed by the AKC, meaning that training programs will permit entry into AKC competitions. Even though the club is AKC licensed, dogs do not have to be purebred to join in the fun. Purebred and mixed-breed dogs six months and older are welcome.
Classes offered by the Milwaukee Dog Training Club include obedience, agility, flyball, tracking, and puppy training. Milwaukee Dog Training Club runs on membership fees; all memberships include obedience classes, but certain classes may cost extra on top of the membership.
6). Wag The Dog & Company, LLC
- Online or In-Person: Both
- Types of Training Courses: Aggression, Fear/Phobias, Separation Anxiety, Reactivity
- Price Range: Separation Anxiety: $75 – $865, Online Training Membership: $37/month or $370/year, 1-on-1 Online Training: $75 – $315, 1-on-1 In-Person Training: $75 – $785
- Link to Website: https://www.wagthedogandcompany.com/
- Address: 107 E. Seeboth St, Milwaukee, WI 53204
- Phone Number: (608) 576-6961
Wag The Dog & Company has a variety of different training options: they offer private one-on-one training as well as virtual training. When it comes to virtual training, the company offers a few different types.
You can sign up for a membership that will give you access to live, weekly training sessions as well as the ability to submit 3 videos per month and receive personalized training feedback. Aside from the membership, there is also live one-on-one virtual training. Finally, there are self-paced courses you can purchase that essentially give you the tools to train independently.
Wag The Dog & Company specializes in helping dogs with fear, aggression, reactivity, separation anxiety, and other phobias. Best of all, they are certified fear-free professionals with humane and force-free training techniques.
Find the Right Dog Training for You
Milwaukee has many skilled dog trainers, but choosing the right one depends on your needs. If you’re on a tight budget, we would recommend Dog Academy or Milwaukee Dog Training Club. Both of these training options are low-cost but still offer a decent variety of training courses.
If you’re looking for day training or a board-and-train program, check out Happy Tails Pet Training or SideKick Dog Training. These are great options for people who don’t have much time to be actively involved in training. For those that like being hands-on and are interested in dog sports, Milwaukee Dog Training Club and Happy Tails Pet Training are the best options.
If your dog is struggling with behavior issues such as separation anxiety, aggression, or reactivity, Wag The Dog & Company specializes in such issues. If you’re interested in training your dog for service or therapy work, then give The Teacher’s Pet Dog Training a call.
All of the trainers on our list are capable and highly rated by the public. Whichever trainer you choose, we know that with patience, love, and consistency, your pup will become an even more perfect companion than they already are.